Back dating option stock
In early 2014 the Bakerloo, Piccadilly, Central and Waterloo & City line rolling stock replacement project was renamed New Tube for London (NTf L) and moved from its feasibility stage to the design and specification stage.The proposal introduces fully automated trains and signalling to increase capacity on the Piccadilly, Central, Waterloo & City and Bakerloo lines between 20.
The Victoria line opened in the late 1960s using Automatic Train Operation (ATO), and the last trains ran with a guard in 2000.In 1890, the first tube railway opened, using electric locomotives hauling carriages with small windows, nicknamed "padded cells".Other tube railways opened in the early 20th century using electric multiple units known as gate stock, as access to was via lattice gates at each end of the car.This was unsuccessful and the first public trains were hauled by broad gauge GWR Metropolitan Class condensing 2-4-0 tank engines designed by Daniel Gooch.These were followed by standard gauge Great Northern Railway locomotives and then by the Metropolitan Railway's own standard gauge locomotives.Stock on sub-surface lines is identified by a letter (such as S Stock, used on the Metropolitan line), while tube stock is identified by the year in which it was designed (for example, 1996 Stock, used on the Jubilee line). The Deep tube programme (DTP) originally covered the replacement of the trains and signalling on the Bakerloo and Piccadilly lines, and had been expanded to cover rolling stock requirements arising from the planned extension of the Northern line to Battersea, the eventual replacement of Central line trains and proposed increased service frequency on the Northern and Jubilee lines.
The EVO tube concept design, a lighter articulated train with walk through cars, was introduced early in 2011.
On the outer suburban routes an electric locomotive was used at the Baker Street end that was exchanged for a steam locomotive en route.
whereas the Metropolitan still used carriages on the outer suburban routes where an electric locomotive at the Baker Street end was exchanged for a steam locomotive en route.
In 1885 an improved version was ordered and twenty-two B Class were built.
On 1 November 1937 the later Metropolitan Railway G, H and K Class steam locomotives were transferred to the London and North Eastern Railway (LNER) who took over all freight workings and became responsible for hauling passenger trains with steam locomotives north of Rickmansworth.
The fully automated trains may not have drivers, Transport for London are planning to issue an Invitation to Tender at some point potentially for up to 27 new trains for the Jubilee and Northern lines.