skip to content »

Maryland dating while separated law

The legal term for representing yourself is “pro se,” pronounced “pro say”) which is Latin for “on your own behalf.” Representing yourself is not a good idea for everyone.It is important to understand that by representing yourself, you may be giving up important rights.

maryland dating while separated law-33maryland dating while separated law-24

Under Maryland Law, you have the right to represent yourself in all legal cases, including divorce.Instead, the court will award money to the spouse who doesn’t have title, to cover his or her share of the property.“Title” means the legal right to control and get rid of the property – if you have title to something, you own it.If two people acquire property while living together before marriage, that property is not marital property.The following are not marital property, even if you or your spouse acquired the property during your marriage: If you and your spouse commingle (put together) non-marital and marital funds (money), anything you buy with the commingled funds is marital property.The law limits the authority of the court to grant divorces (known as a question of jurisdiction-can this court hear this divorce? The law also dictates when the court has jurisdiction over a divorce proceeding.

Within Maryland, the circuit courts have jurisdiction to hear divorce cases.

Real property (such as land or a house) that is held by “tenants by the entireties” is considered marital property unless you and your spouse have a valid agreement to exclude it. The court will also look at any marital debts (for example, mortgages and credit cards) when determining the value of the marital property.

The court cannot transfer marital property titled in one spouse's name to the other.

If not state correctly, your spouse could file a motion to dismiss your case.

After you file your papers, your spouse has 30 days (if your spouse lives in Maryland), 60 days (if your spouse lives outside of Maryland, but in the United States), or 90 days (if your spouse lives outside the United States) to respond to your request for divorce (known as a Complaint.

A lawyer can also help fill in any gaps in the records you have collected and can use certain legal tools (generally called "discovery") to uncover information from your spouse.